Stepping beyond fixed definitions!

By Audio Pervert - 12/22/2021

"A major reason why I didn't pursue a full-time career in music is because many of the male musicians I connected with early on, would often make me feel isolated or unsafe - the "bro culture" is real..." says Ananya Roy, a pianist, singer and interdisciplinary artist from Pune. Sure the music scene in India is full of "bros" and their regressive little circles, yet that 'demotivating reality' did not keep Ananya down from pursuing music, connecting with emerging artists, and advocating new ideas. Early on, unlike most aspiring females, Ananya learned about the structural injustices and internalized patriarchy within the music scene of India.  

Resilience and persistence are two virtues, which Ananya actively embodies, and believes will help aspiring female talent collectively, in order to move towards a more gender equal culture. We recently spoke to Ananya about activism, advocacy, her music and what all she is doing to address gender inequality in music. Her focus is obviously India!


You picked up music early on, tell us about that time in your life?
I was fortunate to have grown up in a home brimming with music… my grandmother played the Sitar and my grandfather played the Ghatam. Both my parents are fairly musical too, with my father being a percussionist and my mother being a Hindustani classical singer. Early on, I grew up fascinated by the piano… I was 3 years old or so. I grew up listening to my father's rich collection of CDs … the range, everything from Dire Straits to Kishore Kumar. Fast forward a decade, I learned classical piano at the Academy of Music, Pune and received a distinction in my Trinity Guildhall Piano Examination when I was 12… Since then there's been no looking back! Been fortunate to be able to work with some incredible artists like the Piano Guys, and gotten featured on Rolling Stones India Hit List and Spotify Radar India Playlist.

What did you make of formal music education?
I remember my initial waiting moment.. at the music institute, in anticipation of the piano class to begin. In the gallery, were portraits classical composers from Brahms to Mendellsohn- but not a single one of a woman. We would watch documentaries of various composers' lives (Bach, Mozart etc) any by and by, I couldn't help but notice how the featured women in these films, always played the nurturing role - of a mother or sister, fostering, never ever depicted as artists or compatriots. I didn't realize right away, but the lack of representation subconsciously discouraged me - making me apassionate about music. A few years later, in fact, I dreaded attending my piano class after school... an obligation, a lesson, before got I could enjoy my evening cartoons. However, I'd like to acknowledge my piano teacher, deeply motivating indeed! Tuhin Rao who never let me feel out of place. We had a stringent rule at the Academy to strictly follow sheet music, however he always encouraged me to compose and explore musicality.

During college?
It wasn't until I went off to college in Manipal that I started experiencing withdrawal symptoms at being kept away from my piano- after practicing for at least half an hour everyday for the last several years, there was a gaping hole left in my daily routine. Exhausted maybe? I tried to get my fix by trying out other instruments brought by some of the kids in the hostel. Very organically, my social circle in college grew to be increasingly artistic. Naturally we decided to start a music club… the motivation was to create representation for women. The existing music club in my university at the time had negligible female representation, and all females were typecast as vocalists, choir etc... even if they had other talents. We called it “Chords & Co.”

At this point, did you realize the need for empowerment, for female talent, in music?
Even outside the realm of music, like many women, I too faced subordination and restrictions. Academically and at a technical level patriarchy prohibits women to rise equally. Little did I realize these things can happen to anyone, anywhere, any age and background, because so many people just aren't educated (about rights and respect) any better while growing up.

A major reason why I didn't pursue a full-time career in music is because many of the male musicians I connected with through gigs or at concerts would often make me feel isolated or unsafe - the "bro culture" is real. The impact is especially heavy on women pursuing technical work in music- lugging back a massive keyboard after a late-night gig, made me feel that much more anxious about my own safety… My love for music was compromised by the challenges and near-traumatic experiences I had to face during my gigging days...

In my final year, Chords & Co. featured 7 women participants, compared to very few in the previous years.. well, when it was just me in the first year! What's best, that a female was declared winner at the competition! Post graduation, I set up a beginner’s music blog… a range of info and articles, for example, the difference between a piano and a keyboard… basic harmony and chords... even rating jam rooms in India. Personally I continued learning the piano, deviating towards a mathematical standpoint. When I teach, I begin right from Pythagoras! Lets put down the set of 12 notes, that form the entire music scale… a beautiful combination, mathematics and music!

You are a part of FEMWAV. Tell us about your role and scene?
Since I joined FEMWAV in July 2020, I've gotten to learn so much more about the structural reality of the music industry.. while interacting with some genuine and fascinating people. It's been a rewarding experience to host the "Her Tempo" podcast. A series of heart-to-heart podcasts, where I get to speak to them about so many aspects of music, life, challenges, the scene etc. This ongoing dialogue, helps me (and FEMWAV) learn personal and common challenges…The reality from a totally diverse female perspective.. personally, I some got incredible music recommendations along the way. In March 2021 we launched "Walk a Mile" and "G.A.N.G. (Girls and Gigs)". FEMWAV is addressing women’s safety at venues, gigs and festivals in India. It's the first time actually! It’s active intervention. I am leading this venture... amplifying participation via short films, informal panels, performances through 2022. As a bunch of women, we are starting out in Pune!… I'm grateful for the space, resources and networking which FEMWAV provides… it's collective resilience and action, that each member curates and executes (and benefits) over time.

How do you view the music industry in India, in terms of gender and the inequality?
We live in a patriarchal society… and there's no getting around it. While there has been steady progress in achieving gender equality, we as a society are still a long way to go… Numerically and across classes. For several years before performing at a gig or a recital, I was introduced as a "pretty lady" rather than someone who had spent years working on their craft… Why was that? It’s obvious sexism. Internalized! We have seen a host of adjectives being used for a male performer- from "talented" to "intense" or "soulful" …. Even as it stifled me for years, I never spoke up about it. Like most female artists don’t…until I realised, that patriarchy and sexism is a global condition. I felt the need to proactively challenge that with advocacy and action. With music. I began by being more mindful of my actions, ideas and be critical of any biases that may be preventing me personally, from having healthy progressive interaction. We're all different and have unique set of experiences  background, privileges… but maybe putting our minds and intellect together, getting past petty differences, we (individually and collectively) are moving, towards a gender equal culture and society.





What's up next?     I’m immersed in creating the upcoming event for FEMWAV Womens' Day 2022, at the Daily All Day in Pune, my hometown! I'm reaching out to dozens of female artists. So we can feature a handful upcoming female artists, have rapid-fire talks by experts and conduct a women's safety workshop! Open doors to all...We are approaching 360 degrees. Artists, organizers and audience. The overall objective is to educate, resonate, collectivize. Women's safety and equality. The long term objective should roll out as a three-part mini-documentary called "div'her'sify" (tentative title)... Early 2022, we launch all the details and plan-of-action on the FEMWAV website. Just started producing a podcast which is dedicated to mental health - "Baat toh Suno!”. Conducting mental hygiene workshops called "Mind Basti" with and for children from various Indian non-profit orgs… pushing all these fronts at the same time!

  • Share:

RANDOM ARTICLE GENERATOR - BLAME THE BOT!

0 -