'Education is the key to empowerment' - Liz Cirelli

By Audio Pervert - 5/06/2020

"For me, music is a life-long love story. I love fusing the worlds of classical and electronic music into intricate, hypnotic and melody-driven forms" says Liz Cirelli, an artist who traverses multiple roles manifesting as producer, composer, DJ, singer, collaborator and mentor. Inside an hyper-competitive world where we mostly see self-serving career-driven artists, Liz sets an example which is built upon empathy, positive energy and empowerment. She believes in "expressions of creativity that emerge along the path to self-awareness". We recently spoke to Liz about her formative years, where and how she draws her inspiration from and new initiatives. As a mentor with a decade plus experience in music production, she has launched a new online music-production course aimed at people wanting to learn how to make music.


About the intersection of the post-modern and traditional which manifests in your music. How did that happen over the years?
For me, pure magic happens when the worlds of classical and electronic music are skilfully combined. It literally sends shivers up my spine when I hear music that masterfully marries these two forms. I studied classical ballet from the age of 2 until I was 18, and I'm also a classically-trained musician: I learned my first instrument, the flute, when I was 11, then went on to take singing and piano lessons. The exposure to classical music during my formative years has been a huge influence. At the age of 18, I was introduced to the world of electronic music and it totally knocked me off my feet. I fell in love instantly and I fell hard! It wasn't long before I began yearning how to DJ, so I sought out a teacher and after many hours of practice and collecting records, went on to DJ in London, gradually making my way internationally. This experience deepened my love for electronic music and I felt drawn to learn even more - so I embraced the world of music production! My classical background and my passion for electronic music have gifted me with an innate ability to fuse two worlds. It is something that comes to me intuitively, so I follow it. I've had the honour of working with some incredibly talented musicians: Emmy-award winning composer, Gavin Greenaway, and renowned violinist Minski (we just recently celebrated our 10-year collaborative partnership).

You have released a flurry of albums since 2009. What keeps you inspired and productive?
True that I have been releasing my initial compositions since 2009 yet my first full-length album was released in 2016 and counting that one, I've released 5 since then. I love what I do so much: if I don't make at least a little muisc 5 days a week, I feel like a part of me is suffering. We all ebb and flow with good days and bad days, so what keeps me inspired and productive is maintaining a solid routine. Mornings are dedicated to my studio: to create, play, experiment and record. I find it inspiring to get involved in different projects with other people, having extensively produced music for film, advertising and commercial ventures. Working to a deadline really helps me - when the pressure is on, I shine, so getting involved in high-pressure projects is a surefire way of both staying productive and learning how to work efficiently. Also regular meditation and yoga. Often, just when I'm falling asleep, my mind is awash with ideas for new tracks - it's a veritable symphony in there at times! I sing parts of these ideas into my phone. When I play the recorded ideas back to myself the next day, I can recall everything I heard in my head the night before. I have a big catalogue of these little recordings, so I'm never really stuck for fresh ideas. I seek out and listen to new music every day, that is also a source of inspiration for me. I am also fortunate to have mentors who are nothing short of amazing! They are caring and supportive, keeping me inspired and productive during those times when mini freak-outs and moments of losing direction and motivation inevitably occur!


Since there are many online music composing and production courses, How is your's different? What can a newbie expect from 'The Cirelli School of Music'?
The format is easy to use and apply, so that time spent with me is fortifying, empowering and useful in tangible terms. My commitment for students to have a unique experience when I am teaching, my attention to detail - and my warm-hearted nature, which leaves everyone feeling included regardless of skill level. I also have a natural ability and skill for teaching and inspiring others. The Cirelli School of Music is rooted in 'inclusiveness' instead of being 'exclusive'. The first course (spanning 6 months) is for music creatives, enthusiasts, those who want to learn more about music production or simply to refine their studio skills. These are delivered weekly, live in 30-minute classes starting on the 14th of May. Don't fret, if you miss a class or join late, all the classes and course materials will be archived and made available online. However, I highly recommend you attend the live classes as there will be added extras!

Give us an overview of the courseware?
Over 6 months, the course covers topics such as how to program a beat, learning harmony (chords), arranging (sequencing), working with vocals, and mixing / mastering secrets unlocked. All aimed at building new skills and confidence. Additionally, I will examine the basic tenets of what it takes to establish a career within the music business. Each class will include homework specifically designed to enable students to consolidate and fully understand what was covered during the lesson. All classes include a live Q and A session, during which students will be able to question and converse with me directly.

What's the root inspiration behind The Cirelli School Of Music?
I love helping people. My life experiences and passion naturally led me to create this online school. Not only is this a place to learn about music but it also offers support by me and my community of other musicians and creatives. Knowing how defeating or tiring committing to one's passion can be, I understand the power (and beauty) of mentorship, as I've sought out this kind of guidance in my life to manifest my goals and dreams. I believe in paying it forward and encouraging as many others as I can.



Recently you put out a book titled "Reluctant Butterfly" What is it about?
Ah yes! It's a beautifully illustrated ebook that I wrote. Very thankful to my wonderful friend Tanya Leverington for the gorgeous illustrations! It's an illustrated guide to realising your creative ambitions, written from my own experience: the challenges and obstacles I've had to face and overcome - and the the lessons I’ve learned through the process.

Tell us about your vested interest and involvement in female empowerment ?
I think a lot of what holds women back is our social conditioning, as well as social paradigms that, even in this day and age, repress women and their talent. When I look around the music industry, whether it's in the field of electronic music, or in general, it's a bit of a 'sausage fest'. Most of my favourite music artists and DJs are men and women, yet I wonder why it still feels more male-driven. I do see times changing, with increasing numbers of female DJs, composers and producers in the music scene, yet there are still so many more who deserve their day in the sun. There needs to be more women situating themselves in the narrative as well as increasing female visibility. I know they are out there so I want to be one of the voices encouraging, assisting, being a part of the global empowerment narrative. I have also been mindful to include in my course, information on how we can move beyond the often unconscious behavioural patterns we have adopted as a result of our social conditioning, that inevitably obstruct our progress. I believe education is the key to empowerment: if enough female artists start mentoring and consequently empowering other women within the music industry, it will eventually improve equality. Take for example the FEMWAV movement in India - something I deeply resonate with from a philosophical point of view, as well aesthetically and musically. Hence recently, I volunteered to become a mentor for their resource pool. I am grateful to be a part of their empowerment models, which are aimed at Indian female talent, which I believe needs resources, inspiration and formative skills. Minds, resources and actions need to unite, and we are part of that change...

  • Share:

RANDOM ARTICLE GENERATOR - BLAME THE BOT!

0 -